Monday, August 23, 2010

Lady Gaga

For awhile now, well let's face it close to five months now, I have felt very stunted in growth with my creativity. I have honestly doubted my creative ability and if I truly was an artist worth pursuing a business of my own. I honestly have come to a lull in my creative potential, and that has been because me, myself and I. That is what it all boils down to.

Creativity is an ultimate expression of the internal. It to me is the most personal form of expression because it is something that only you have been able to judge its worth inside your mind. When it is created and shown amongst many, fear, excitement, nervousness all of these are encompassed inside your belly as if you were a balloon that could fly away at any moment if let go.

I then came across all these quotes that changed my mind a little bit about creativity:

"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates." - Oscar Wilde


This quote below explains where I am exactly.


If I am unhappy with anything and purge certain things my true creativity can shine because it is not bogged down with piles of junk that just take up space. I guess it is time to learn and be whatever I am supposed to be and learn everyday to draw inspiration from life. This is the direction I am headed.

Sometimes I think that my interests are too broad, but doesn't that make you well rounded as an artist? I feel as an artist I never would be satisfied working 9 to 5 unless in design. I think I would always do more, learn more and seek more to do and knowledge to acquire. This could be my downfall or possibly my strength still seeking guidance on that one.

Long ago, (it sounds like I am beginning a story. Once upon a time..) I acquired tickets to Lady Gaga and thought that I had to make an outfit for her concert and show my creativity for 20,000 people to see. I had no idea how much it would actually be in all honesty.

I thought about the look for a very long time and finished the last seam just four hours before the concert. It seems sometimes the best things come out of times of pressure, at least for me. I am not the best planner and if you know me, or know how I work that is not my strength, but something that is definitely in the works.

I knew that I was going to create a jumpsuit, because let's face it for whatever reason I have an obsession with jumpsuits. I researched the makeup online and thought it would be absolutely fabulous.

Here is the video. I modified my look a little I used blue and white tones instead.

This was my makeup which I did myself all of it from eyes, to false eyelashes and beyond.


I gained inspiration from multiple Lady Gaga looks and wanted to tie them all together.

Here are some looks that inspired me.






People will ask why dress up? Why do you like her? Well from the moment I heard her interview with Barbara Walters I knew I was a fan. She speaks of being a voice for those that felt like a freak and not normal. That spoke to me in a lot of ways and from that moment I knew that her music was relatable to me.

I wanted to the outfit I created for Lady Gaga, to first of all be editorial. I didn't want it to look cheesy or not well put together, and I knew I had more of a challenge being a male. I didn't want to showcase a blond wig and sunglasses. Though I love that look it just isn't me. I wanted to be inspired by her fashion, but still truly being myself at her concert.

The jumpsuit was created out of an old firemans jumpsuit I found at the goodwill outlets also known as the bins, where you can buy stuff you find by the pound. I deconstructed it, tore it apart and used it as a template. I was struggling with fabric choice just two days before the show, when I found an old fabulous, black and white tablecloth in our closet, that had no purpose before. Clearly it was there to be used for this occassion.

I had a pair of tuxedo shoes, that I originally spray painted silver but didn't like the look of them, so I decided I would decoupage the shoes. With what fabric was still to be determined.

The headpiece was created by melting old records in the oven and super gluing them together with industrial strength glue. Lets just say don't put it on your head while the glue is still wet it may get in your hair. The end result will quite probably be a shaved head. ;)

Did I mention that the records were found on the street next to a garbage can on Mississippi St here in Portland, yes no money was spent on this fabulous what would be headpiece.

The only thing I ended up purchasing for the whole outfit, was lace fabric which I used on the collar, a crow from the dollar tree and the makeup. All equaling out to just under $20. (Thank you coupons and Target)

The morning of the concert, I was sewing the jumpsuit together and it 10 minutes time, created and put on the lace collar.

I was done with my whole look an hour ahead of schedule, which meant needless amounts of pacing and nervousness at how people would respond. I thought people would think I was a freak, but in the end I got quite the opposite reaction.

I walked on the Max after going to happy hour, and people waved at me. Were shouting Lady Gaga out the windows of cars. I was starting to feel just great accomplishment in my creation and it was much the same if not more at the concert.

People were taking pictures with camera phones, asking to take pics, asking about my outfit. Were dazed when I told them I made it all! This was what I needed to feel recognized for my creative ability. This made me feel inspired, and ready to take on the world.

There was a line at the show of a photographer taking little monsters photographs. She had me on a chair originally but decided she wanted me to show off the shoes that were decoupaged so I did a yoga inspired pose.

All I can say is that the concert was amazing! And I am thankful that I had the opportunity to show off my creativity, and get a photo that expressed my perspective. I hope you like!


5 comments:

courtney jade said...

i love you.
remember- if you can dream it, you can do it. I love that you've re-found some creative inspiration. The world just isn't as colorful without your additions <3

MsChaCha said...

i dont know if you saw my entry yesterday but if not, here it is!

http://mschachabuzz.blogspot.com/2010/08/pdx-volleybelles-goes-gaga.html

sassygirl said...

I liked it...just wish it was longer, write more soon!

robin said...

Ben, all I can say is that I am awed by your creative abilities and deeply touched by this blog entry.

bencurtis said...

Thank you all very much for the support!