Sunday, September 26, 2010

Strawberry Lavender Vanilla Cupcakes


Today I made my well known cupcakes. Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Lavender Frosting. I had a couple people ask me for the recipe, so I decided I would post it on my blog.

The cake recipe is very nostalgic for me. As a child my mother would always be baking, and one of her signatures was a homemade white cake. Every time I taste it, it brings back really amazing memories of my childhood and time with my late mother. I always want to bake more especially because this time of year reminds me of her the most.

Silver White Cake Recipe

(Out of my late mothers 1976 Betty Crocker Cookbook)

2 1/4 cups cake flour or 2 cups all purpose flour. (I like the cake flour better)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick of softened butter
1 cup milk (1%, 2% or whole)
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg whites (1/2 cup)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pan if not using cupcake liners. Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, milk and vanilla. Blend 1/2 minute on low speed scraping bowl constantly. Beat 2 minutes high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg whites, beat 2 minutes high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into cupcake liners. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

(One tip my mom always said is that if you can smell the cake, they are done. And don't forget they do continue to cook in the pan for a few more minutes after pulling them.)

FROSTING
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup ( 2 sticks) unsalted butter
pinch of salt
3 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of dried lavender

(be careful to put just the right amount if not the lavender overpowers the strawberry)

Place strawberries and lavender in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended. Do not overmix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and stiff.

Top off with fresh organic halved strawberries tossed in sugar and voila! You have an amazing cupcake!





No comments: